Contract of Carriage for SF LOGISTICS
For the purpose of the terms and conditions of this agreement, unless inconsistent with the context, the following words shall carry the following meaning:
- “SF Logistics” – shall mean SF Logistics cc (Registration No 2009/230138/23)
- “The Customer” shall mean:
- The Person who instructed SF Logistics to perform services on the Customer’s behalf;
- Any Person who accepts SF Logistics quotation;
- Any Person who contracts with SF Logistics.
- “Contract” means the terms and conditions hereof whether agreed on in writing or orally between SF Logistics and the Customer.
- “Dangerous Goods” means Hazardous Goods as defined in the Regulations to the Hazardous Substance Act 15 of 1973 as well as any other goods which SF Logistics in its sole discretion may deem hazardous or dangerous.
- “Goods” shall mean any Goods which are transported in terms hereof.
- “Person” shall have its ordinary meaning and includes a “body corporate”, private or public company”, “close corporation”, “partnership”, “trust” or any other legal entity.
- “Law” includes the Common Law, Statute, Ordinance, By-Laws or Regulations.
- “Sub-Contractor” shall mean any Person with whom SF Logistics sub-contracts to carry out Transportation in terms of the Contract.
- “Transportation” shall mean, without restricting the generality of this term, conveyance, packing (when necessary), storing and / or safekeeping of any Goods and acquiring of permits, authority/ies and the like.
- APPLICABILITY OF THESE CONDITIONS
- The terms and conditions of this agreement together with any addendum thereto shall govern the relationship between SF Logistics and the Customer in each and every Contract between them, including Contracts entered into subsequent to the Contract formed by the Customer’s attention has been specifically drawn to these conditions as being applicable to the Contract governing their relationships.
- The Contract or transportation may be carried out by SF Logistics itself, acting as principal, or on its behalf by any Sub-Contractor appointed by it, in which event SF Logistics shall act as agent only and Sub-Contractor as principal, the contract shall be subject to the Sub-Contractors’ standard terms and conditions of trading. In the event of the Sub-Contractor’s standard terms and conditions not being available, then SF Logistics standard terms and conditions shall mutatis mutandis apply on behalf of the Sub-Contractor. In the event of a conflict between the standard conditions of trading of SF Logistics and those of the Sub-Contractor, SF Logistics standard conditions of trading shall prevail.
- No warranty or representation other than as is herein expressly contained shall be of any force and effect against SF Logistics unless the same is contained in writing and signed for and behalf of SF Logistics.
- No amendment, variation on consensual cancellation of any Contract shall be of any force and effect unless such amendment, variation and / or consensual cancellation as reduced to writing and signed by SF Logistics.
- WHOLE CONTRACT
No course of conduct other than agreement in writing signed by SF Logistics shall constitute a variation or novation of a Contract or a waiver or estoppel of SF Logistics right thereunder.
SF Logistics shall only be obliged to perform provided that:
- SF Logistics on its sole opinion has received sufficient notice and information of the Customer’s requirements to enable it to properly carry out the Transportation and ensure that a suitable and appropriate vehicle is available.
- The necessary consents and statutory permits have been granted and remain in force (in the event of such consents or permits being refused or withdrawn for any reason whatsoever such that no carriage whatsoever may be performed, the Contract shall terminate and no liability therefore or damages or otherwise shall attach to SF Logistics.
- The Customer is not in breach of any terms of conditions on this Contract or any other Contract concluded with SF Logistics.
- SF Logistics is satisfied as to the Customer’s solvency and ability and readiness to pay for the services to be rendered in terms of the Contract within the time and in the manner therein prescribed.
- It is not impossible, impractical or dangerous for SF Logistics to comply with its obligations as a result of riots, strikes, lockouts, labour disturbances or disputes, boycotts, economic sanctions, acts of State, industrial legislation, war, terrorism, civil commotion or disturbances, attacks upon its employees or vehicles, floods, rationing or non-availability of fuel, vehicle accident, breakdown in vehicle of equipment, commercial exigencies or any other cause whatsoever beyond its reasonable control.
- SUSPENSION OF PERFORMANCE
While any of the conditions referred to in clause 4 remain unfulfilled, SF Logistics shall be entitled to refuse or suspend performance without being liable to any manner, whatsoever therefore to the Customer or any Person whatsoever, and without prejudice to SF Logistics rights to recover monies then due to it in respect of services already performed by it.
- SF Logistics shall not be liable to the Customer, owner of the Goods or any Person whatsoever for any loss and / or damages of any nature whatsoever (including consequential loss and / or damage) howsoever caused which the person aforesaid may suffer as a result of the performance of such services by the Sub-Contractor and / or SF Logistics and / or its employees and / or agents notwithstanding that such loss and / or damage may have been caused by the negligence of the sub-Contractor and / or SF Logistics and / or its employees and / or agents or by breach of the contract by SF Logistics and / or the Sub-Contractor.
- The customer indemnifies SF Logistics and / or the Sub-Contractor against any claim by itself to other persons in respect of liability hereby excluded, it being expressly acknowledged that the Good are carried at the Customer’s risk.
- CUSTOMER’S WARRANTIES AND INDEMNITIES
- The Customer warrants and represents that:
- The Goods are the Customer’s sole and excusive property and / or that the Customer has the full and absolute authority of the persons owning or interested in the Goods to enter into a Contract.
- The carriage of the Goods as contracted for with SF Logistics does not contravene any Law.
- No Dangerous Goods shall be tendered to SF Logistics for placing with it and / or the Sub-Contractor to SF Logistics express consent in writing that it has disclosed to SF Logistics all material information pertaining to Transportation and which may affect SF Logistics decision in agreeing to transport the Goods for and on behalf of the Customer.
- The Customer hereby indemnifies SF Logistics against all liability and any claims whatsoever by any Person whatsoever for:
- Any loss or damage to Goods or persons or life from whatsoever cause and or non-delivery and / or misdelivery on grounds of breach of contract and / or negligence.
- Any liability for loss or damage on grounds of breach of contract and / or negligence howsoever arising.
- Any loss or damages arising from loss of market or attributable to delay in forwarding or in transit or failure to carry out fully or impart thereof any instructions given to it for any other consequential loss howsoever arsing.
- All legal costs incurred by SF Logistics in resisting any such claims, such costs to be determined on the scale as between attorney and his own client
- The Customer warrants the accuracy, without exception, of all information and specifications given by or on its behalf of SF Logistics.
- Except where SF Logistics is instructed in writing to pack the Goods, the Customer warrants that all Goods have been properly and sufficiently packed and / or prepared.
- The Customer warrants and represents that:
- PRESCRIPTION OF CLAIMS
Without limiting and without prejudicing the provisions of these conditions (and in particular clauses 6 and 7), the Customer shall notify SF Logistics of any loss, damage, complaint or claim without 24 (twenty four) hours from the time of off-loading, or in the case of late delivery or non-delivery of the Goods, within 24 (twenty four) hours from the scheduled time of off-loading and shall confirm such notification in writing to be received by SF Logistics within 72 (seventy two) hours of such off-loading or scheduled time of off-loading, as the case may be, failing which, any claim arising therefrom shall deo facto lapse and be unenforceable thereby.
- PAYMENT WITHOUT DEDUCTION
Notwithstanding any such notification of claim asset forth in this agreement, the Customer hall pay to SF Logistics the full amount stated on SF Logistics Invoice on due date without any deduction or set-off and without prejudice to the Customer’s rights contended for against SF Logistics in respect of any such claim the Customer shall not be entitled to deduct or set-off any monies which it owes to SF Logistics against any monies which it contends are due to it by either SF Logistics and / or the Sub-Contractor.
- The customer agrees to be responsible for all legal costs incurred by SF Logistics in resisting any such claims as calculated on the scale as between attorney and one’s own client.
- STIPULATION FOR THE BENEFIT OF SF LOGISTICS
The stipulations contained in clauses 6, 7 and 10.4 are for the benefit of SF Logistics and of any Person for those acts and / omissions SF Logistics is or may be in Law liable of any Person who may perform any of SF Logistics obligations thereunder.
- VALIDITY OF QUOTATIONS
Quotations shall remain open for acceptance by the Customer for a period of 7 (seven) days from the date thereof, (which acceptance shall be communicated in writing to SF Logistics), and if not accepted during such period, shall automatically lapse.
- QUOTATION DATA
All quotations are subject to the conditions contained herein. Quotations are based, inter alia, on quantities, densities, dimensions, mass, properties, other technical data, available loading and off-loading hours and other information supplied by the Customer and are accepted by SF Logistics in good faith under representation by the Customer. Any variance therefrom shall entitle SF Logistics to require the freight quoted to be adjusted to take into account such variance, or to suspend performance, or cancel the Contract, without thereby incurring any liability whatsoever and in the event of any such cancellation reserving to itself the right to claim from the Customer such damages as SF Logistics may have suffered.
Quotations are subject to:
- Work being carried out by the methods and the route to be decided by SF logistics without interruption, hindrance or postponement.
- The availability of SF Logistics vehicles and / or staff on the dates required.
- All part loads being conveyed and delivered at SF Logistics convenience.
- Any increase in SF Logistics costs coming into force after the date of the quotation over which SF Logistics has no control will be for that Customer’s account.
- Any delay due to interruption, hindrance, local traffic, municipal regulation or non-production of necessary licences, permits or customer forms which will be charged to the Customer.
- Where the volumes, quantities or scopes of work have increased over what have been quoted for, the Customer will be charged for any additions on a pro-rata basis.
- A charge increase should there be a change of route due to reasons beyond SF Logistics control.
- Any postponement of cancellation by the Customer entitles SF Logistics to make change to cover the expenses incurred and / or losses to SF Logistics arising therefrom.
- SF Logistics shall have the right to increase the charge specified in the event of stoppages or delays in the carrying out of the work to which the Contract relates provided that such stoppages or delays are caused by circumstances beyond the control of SF logistics or are such that SF Logistics could nor reasonably foresee or prevent the cause of such stoppages or delays arising.
The Freight payable to SF logistics by the Customer for the Transportations of Goods shall be the Freight agreed between SF Logistics and the customer or shall be calculated on the rate agreed between them as the case may be. The Freight shall be subject to variation as provided for in clause 13,15 and 16.
Subject to paragraph 13 and provided SF Logistics performs within 7 (seven) days of date of quotation, the Freight quoted in such quotation shall remain fixed. If, however, SF Logistics performs after such 7 (seven) day period the Freight quoted shall be subject to escalation in accordance with the SEIFSA Index of Road Freight Costs as at the date of performance by SF Logistics, the base index being that prevailing at date of quotation.
- ADDITIONAL COST
- The circumstances envisaged in clause 22, 23, 24, 28, 29, 30 and 31 occurring; or
- The time taken to load or offload a vehicle exceeding the maximum time allowed in terms of clauses 23 and 24; or
- Loading and off-loading taking place at more than one point; or
- SF Logistics being obliged, due to circumstances beyond its control, to utilise routes different from those intended by it at the time of entering into the Contract.
Subject to paragraph 9 above, payment shall be received in full, free of any commission, exchange, brokerage, deduction or set-off, upfront at loading by SF Logistics which may appropriate all monies paid entirely within its sole and unfettered discretion. The Customer shall not be entitled to deduct from or set-off against such payments any claims which the Customer may have against SF Logistics arising from cause whatsoever. Notwithstanding the SF Logistics may agree to collect and / or receive payment from a third party, the Customer hereby acknowledges that the Customer is personally bound by the provisions of the Contract, and the Customer hereby guarantees payment of the Freight and other charges by such third party to SF Logistics. There will be no valid discharge of the obligation to pay SF Logistics by the Customer unless payment has been made to SF Logistics and to no other Person whomsoever. SF Logistics is entitled to levy an interest charge against the Customer at the rate of 2% (two per cent) per month on all amounts which are outstanding and are unpaid by the Customer.
- LOADING AND OFF-LOADING
Where the Customer is not the consignor and / or consignee, the consignor and / or consignee and their servants and agents shall be deemed to be agents of the Customer and to be authorised to act on the Customer’s behalf in the situations contemplated in clauses 20 and 28 inclusive.
- CONDITIONS OF GOODS
The onus of establishing the conditions of the Goods at the time of delivery to SF Logistics shall at all times remain on the Customer, and no delivery note, receipt, or other document given at such time by SF Logistics to the consignor shall constitute proof of such condition, save to the extent that any specific record in relation thereto may have been made thereon by SF Logistics.
- RESPONSIBILITY FOR LOADING AND OFF-LOADING
- The Customer shall deliver the Goods onto the vehicle nominated by SF Logistics and / or the Sub-Contractor and shall take delivery therefrom and shall be fully responsible for the loading and off-loading thereof.
- SF Logistics and / or the Sub-Contractor shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from the loading and off-loading of the vehicles and the customer indemnifies SF Logistics and/ or the Sub-Contractor against any claims which may be brought against SF Logistics and / or the Sub-Contractor arising out of such loading, off-loading, overloading, unsafe loading or out of the nature or any defect in the goods concerned.
- SF Logistics employees may assist with the loading and off-loading where such assistance is customary and practicable, and where contracted for, but such assistance shall be rendered at the sole risk of the Customer without any liability for loss or damage arising therefrom attaching to SF Logistics and / or the Sub-Contractor.
- LOADING AND OFF-LOADING FACILITIES
- The Customer undertakes:
- To provide or precure the provision of safe and adequate labour and equipment for loading and off-loading and safe, convenient and adequate loading and off-loading points and access to any such loading and off-loading points.
- To ensure that loading and off-loading will be possible at the agreed points during such hours and days as the parties have agreed.
- To ensure that SF Logistics or the Sub-Contractor’s vehicle is suitably clean for the purpose of receiving and conveying the Goods before the loading of the Goods in the contracted vehicle/s is commenced.
- To ensure that all Goods loaded shall be in such condition as to enable due off-loading to be freely affected at the point of destination of such loading.
- To ensure that the Goods are off-loaded into the correct tank, vessel or container, store or warehouse, as the case may be.
- To the Customer warrants that if any Goods require special appliances for loading or off-loading of the vehicle, those appliances will be available at the point of collection or place of delivery of the consignment at the Customer’s expense.
- The Customer undertakes:
- DELAYS AND DAMAGES
- In the event of a vehicle being delayed or damaged due to the Customer’s failure to comply with the provisions of clause 20 and 21, the Customer shall be liable for additional charges at SF Logistics usual rates, alternatively reasonable rates, and / or such damages as the case maybe.
- In the event of any damage whatsoever being caused to SF Logistics vehicle/s whilst loading or off-loading goods on the Customer’s premises, then and in such event, the Customer shall be liable for the fair and reasonable costs of repairing the damages sustained to SF Logistics vehicle/s and restoring damages sustained by it.
- The Customer shall be responsible for and shall compensate SF Logistics in respect of all or any damage sustained by it to any of its vehicles, should any of its vehicles or any portion thereof, or any SF Logistics equipment be damaged while such vehicles are on, or in the process of entering upon, or leaving any loading or off-loading site, howsoever such damage is caused, whether as a result of loading, off-loading or whether as a result of the sites not being in a proper or good state of repair and / or whether such damage occurs because such sites are not level and clear. The Customer shall be liable for such damage, whether same is direct, indirect or consequential. Similarly, should any of SF Logistics vehicles and / or any portion thereof and / or its equipment be damaged while such vehicles are in transit through any other fault of the Customer and / or its servants or agents, and whether as a result of loading or otherwise or whether as a result of the load itself, the Customer shall be responsible and shall compensate SF Logistics for any such damage, whether the same be direct, indirect or consequential.
- LOADING TIME
The maximum loading time allowed to the Customer shall be 4 (four) hours or as stipulated on the quotation unless otherwise agreed to in writing by SF Logistics. Loading times shall be deemed to commence at the time when the vehicle to be loaded arrives at the entrance to the property on which the loading point is situated.
- OFF-LOADING TIME
The provision of clause 22 shall apply mutis mutandis to off-loading time.
- DELIVERY DETAILS
After completion of loading, the Customer shall verify the correctness of all the details contained in the Customer’s delivery documents.
- DELIVERY AND OFF-LOADING INSTRUCTIONS
The Customer shall ensure, prior to the Goods being off-loaded, that the Goods to be off-loaded are the precise Goods which are contracted to be off-loaded, that during off-loading clear and precise off-loading and delivery instructions are given, that the Goods are off-loaded at the correct place and / or off-loaded point, and that immediately after off-loading the Goods off-loaded comprise the correct quantity and are in good order and condition.
- COMPLETION OF OFF-LOADING
- When off-loading is completed the Customer shall inspect the vehicles/s, as the cause may be, to verify that the complete consignment has been off-loaded.
- Goods left on SF Logistics/s or the Sub-Contractor’s vehicle/s for any reason to suit the convenience of the Customer or the consignee, are held at the sole risk of the Customer or the consignee, as the case may be. Pending forwarding and delivery, Goods may be warehoused or otherwise held at any place/s at the sole discretion of SF Logistics or the Sub-Contractor, at the Customer’s risk and expense.
- FAILURE BY THE CUSTOMER TO TAKE DELIVERY
Should the Customer fail or neglect or be unable to refuse to take delivery of the whole or part of the Goods at the agreed off-loading point or at the agreed off-loading time, or should (through no fault of SF Logistics) it not be possible or practicable to off-load the Goods within the prescribed time set out in 23 above and should no acceptable alternative delivery instruction be received from the Customer, SF Logistics shall be entitled to store or abandon the Goods at is discretion. In such event the Customer shall be liable to pay any additional charges thereby incurred and shall have no claim whatsoever against SF Logistics for any act or omission arising therefrom.
SF Logistics shall not be liable for demurrage or storage charges of any nature howsoever arising, levied by third parties, and where paid by SF Logistics, shall be refunded to SF Logistics by the Customer on demand. The Customer does here by appointment SF Logistics irrevocably and in rem suam as its agent in its place and stead to contract for the storage of such Goods upon such terms and such conditions as SF Logistics may, in its discretion, elect and without any liability whatsoever attaching to SF Logistics to attend to such storage.
- DANGEROUS GOODS
- SF Logistics is not obliged to contract for the carrying of Dangerous Goods on behalf of its Customer.
- In the event of SF Logistics agreeing in writing to place with the Sub-Contractor the Customer’s Dangerous Goods, the Customer shall:
- Disclose fully the nature and properties of such Goods to SF Logistics;
- Prior to loading, give SF Logistics special detailed instructions to enable SF Logistics to lace such Goods for the proper safety and handling;
- Comply with all regulations governing the loading, off-loading, storing and carriage of such Goods.
- In the event of the Customer or consignor failing to disclose the dangerous nature of any Goods, or in the event of any Goods becoming a danger to persons or property, whether the dangerous nature thereof has been disclosed or not, SF Logistics shall be entitled immediately, and without prior notice to the Customer, to discharge or dispose of any such Goods, in any manner and SF Logistics shall not be liable for any loss SF Logistics shall furthermore be entitled to recovery from the Customer the Freight in respect of any such carriage, notwithstanding the non-delivery of such Goods, together with any expenses incurred in discharging or disposing thereof.
- The Customer:
- Shall be liable for any loss and / or damages suffered by SF Logistics or any other Persons howsoever caused by Dangerous Good whether the dangerous nature thereof has been disclosed or not.
- Here by indemnifies SF Logistics against all liability and all claims by any Person/s whomsoever arising from such loss and / or damage.
- CANCELLATION OF REQUEST FOR VEHICLE
The Customer shall be entitled to cancel a request for a vehicle to carry out a particular service in terms of a Contract, provided that the Customer gives SF Logistics not less than 48 (forty eight) hours’ notice of cancellation (Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays excluded), prior to the time of dispatch of the vehicle schedules by SF Logistics, failing which the Customer shall be liable to pay SF Logistics usual alternatively reasonable additional charges up to a maximum period of 48 (forty eight) hours.
- BREACH OF CONTRACT BY SF LOGISTICS
Should SF Logistics breach any terms or conditions of a Contract, the Customer shall give SF Logistics written notice to remedy such breach within 7 (seven) days of receipt thereof, and only in the event of SF Logistics failing to comply therewith, shall the Customer be entitled to cancel the Contract on written notice to SF Logistics.
- DUTIES AND TAXES
The Customer and consignees shall be liable for any duty, tax, imports or outlays of whatsoever nature levied by the authorities at any post or place for or in connection with he Goods, and for any payments, fine, expenses, loss or damage incurred or sustained by SF Logistics or the Sub-Contractor in connection therewith.
- SF Logistics may cede, delegate and / or assign and / or sub-contract any or all its right and / or obligations under the Contract.
- These conditions shall apply to any other additional work and / or transport carried out for and on behalf of the Customer, whether or not the Customer’s attention has been specifically drawn to these terms and conditions as being applicable to the contract governing the relationship. It shall therefore be construed that the Customer has agreed that all terms and conditions herein contained shall apply to all future and / or additional transport work carried out for and on behalf of the Customer by SF Logistics and / or the Sub-Contractor.
- SF Logistics shall be entitled at all time, by notice to the Customer, to cancel any quotation or executory agreement in circumstances where it becomes impractical or uneconomical for SF Logistics to carry out the contract, and the Customer shall have no claim whatsoever against SF Logistics for any loss the customer might incur as a result of SF Logistics cancelling.
- The parties here by consent to the jurisdiction of any Magistrate’s Court having jurisdiction over the Customer should SF Logistics in its sole and unfettered discretion elect to institute any action arising out of a Contract against the Customer in such Court, notwithstanding that SF Logistics claim may exceed the ordinary jurisdiction of such court.
- All Contracts shall be interpreted and governed by the Laws of the Republic of South Africa in their entirety. This Contract shall be deemed to have been entered into the Republic of South Africa.
- The head notes to the various clauses contained in these conditions are for reference purposes only and do not affect the interpretation of the individual clauses.
- Each of the terms hereof is severable from the rest of the terms contained herein which terms shall remain of full force and effect, should any one term be found to be invalid for any reason, or without limited the generality hereof, contra bona moras.
- No act, omission, course of dealing, forbearance, delay or indulgence by SF Logistics in enforcing any of these conditions or any of its rights in terms thereof, or any ranting of time by SF Logistics, shall prejudice or affect the rights and remedies of SF Logistics under these conditions and so such mater shall be treated as any evidence or waiver or any subsequent breach thereof, or as estoppel against it. SF Logistics shall at all times, and without notice be entitled to insist on strict application of these conditions and on these conditions and on their strict enforcement thereof by the Customer.
- The Customer selects as its domicilium citande ex executandi for all purposes hereunder at its place of business as reflected on its invoices, delivery notes and letterheads.
- SF logistics as its domicilium citande et executandi at the address that appears on the face thereof.